Nonprofit Board Academy
Nonprofit Board Academy
“The Board Academy far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend the program to any board member, new or experienced.” Craig Gloudemans, Fox Valley nonprofit board member and 2021 Board Academy graduate
“Thank you, Nonprofit Leadership Initiative, for co-hosting the first ever Board Academy workshop for nonprofit board members. It was so energizing to have the opportunity to learn from the experts and to be together with other board members to collaborate and share experiences. The connections I’ve made and the leadership strategies I’ve learned will help me to be a more effective board member, thus promoting more successful agencies and greater positive impact on our community. Thank you for the awesome opportunity, I’d do it again in a heartbeat!” Lauri Asbury, Samaritan Counseling of the Fox Valley board member and 2021 Board Academy graduate
The Board Academy is a program of the Nonprofit Leadership Initiative and is offered in partnership with the Leadership Fox Cities Alumni Association.
Building better leaders!
The program is designed to engage, educate, prepare, and inspire you as a community leader so that together we can build a better community. We hope to inspire you to share your expertise, talent, and passion in service to your nonprofit organization.
This program builds better leaders through:
Personal Development | Professional Development | Community Engagement
- Add or expand your critical thinking and communications skills
- Develop a better understanding of organizational dynamics
- Improve your ability to work collaboratively and problem solve within a team
- Expand your visibility within the community through great networking opportunities
- Gain leadership experience that you can use in your profession
- Be part of something that is making a difference in your community
- Enrich your career through this professional development program
We want you to be a community leader!
- Each session led by guest presenter/technical expert
- The program emphasizes Board Source resources and The 10 Basic Roles & Responsibilities of a Nonprofit Board.
Participants possess a desire to be effective social leaders who are willing to actively engage in issues impacting the community. Candidates for the program likely fall into one of two categories:
Recent Board Members:
Newly seated board members who are in their first term on a nonprofit board.
Experienced Board Members:
Seasoned board members looking to revitalize and strengthen their competencies in nonprofit board service.
*Read more from past participants here.
Past graduates listed here:
- Lauri Asbury serving Samaritan Counseling Center of the Fox Valley, Neenah Joint School District and Neenah Arts Coucil
- Amanda Chavez serving Appleton Bilingual School Governance Board, Building for Kids, Casa Hispana and Citizen Review Panel
- Tim Cody serving Fox Valley Veterans Council, Inc.
- Lindsey Croasdale serving Jake’s Diapers
- Kris Ferber serving Heckrodt Wetland Reserve and Nature Center
- Michelle Frisbie serving Fox Valley Chapter of Hearing Loss Association of America
- Craig Gagnon serving Heckrodt Wetland Reserve and Nature Center, Fox Valley Literacy
- Craig Cloudemans serving Fox Cities Marathon, United Way Fox Cities Emerging Leaders committee, Girls on the Run, Institute of Management Accountants Winnebagoland
- Theresa Hannah serving Fox Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship planned giving committee and audit committee, Fox Valley Literacy
- David Kuchenbecker serving Paper Industry International Hall of Fame and Paper Discovery Center
- Kristin Manney serving Samaritan Counseling Center of the Fox Valley
- Laura McCormick serving SOAR Fox Cities, Outagamie County Department of Health and Human Services
- Katie Phalin serving Samaritan Counseling Center of the Fox Valley
- Shonna Prickette serving Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Central Wisconsin
- Brian Rhodes serving Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Central Wisconsin
- Wendy Steward serving Volunteer Fox Cities
- Jim Strong serving Fox Valley Veterans Council, Inc.
- Jen Van Elzen serving Makaroff Youth Ballet
- Walter Zerrenner serving BEAMING, Inc, Fox Valley Memory Project, Fox Valley Veterans Council
Reading and Communication
A selection of articles, videos and resources about nonprofit strategy and governance will be supplied.
Putting learning into action is a critical purpose of the program. Ongoing access to workshops and resources is available for program alumni including online access to Nonprofit Next, Board Connect, training and workshops, and networking with professionals.
Enrollment in the cohort will consist of 15 minimum and 20 maximum participants.
Leadership Fox Cities Alumni Association Member: $500
Leadership Institute Alumni & Current Cohort nonprofit board members: $500
All other participants in our service area: $750
Curriculum educates participants on the most critical roles of this community leadership service through interactive learning sessions with nationally respected speakers in board governance. Each presenter supplies a blend of curriculum that includes Board Source along with their own instructional design and experience.
- Board Roles & Responsibilities (board’s legal responsibilities versus the executive director’s/support and evaluating the executive director)
- Governance as Leadership (building a competent board/ensuring effective planning)
- Fiscal Strategy (ensuring adequate financial resources/protecting assets and proper financial oversight)
- Ethics/Legal (ensure legal and ethical integrity/risk assessment)
- Resource Development (articulating the mission, accomplishments and goals to garner public support)
- Effective Meetings & Executive Director Panel (holding effective meetings/Q&A for session participants to local executive directors)
Sessions are currently scheduled to be in-person in Appleton, WI.
Wednesday Evenings 3:30 – 6:30 pm (dinner included):
- February 16
- March 2
- March 16
- March 30
- April 13
- April 27